Thursday, November 22, 2018

construction notes for the encourager ~m

My Grandad never told me he loved me, that I can recall. I remember being panicked because I didn't get to intentionally tell him one last time before he passed away. But then, as I thought about it, an overwhelming calm rested on me when I realized that we had loved each other, deeply. And we both knew it, he more than I. He had proven it to me countless times in silent acts of service that I still have realizations about. I've never been loved in such a way as my Grandad loved me, yet he never said a word, he never had to prove it.

*I can't think of a good segway here so just pretend it's a gripping transition*


encouragers!



Gotta love 'em. Vital to my existence. Without them, I wouldn't know that people actually read what Riley and I have to say on this blog, and therefore I probably wouldn't put as much effort into writing as I do. So thanks, guys. Your words have a deeper impact than you may know.

Whenever I think up ideas for one of these things (blogs), I always just go with what's pressing on my heart the hardest and trust that God will work through people either relating to me or reading what I have to say and teaching me something new. This week the whole idea of encouragement has not let my mind rest.

yellow


Ever notice how on social media there is a TON of encouragement in the form of words, quotes, and happy pictures that make you have to turn your phone screen's brightness down? Those posts pick me up and send me some great reminders. So if you post those, please keep it up. You're not the hero we deserve, but the hero we need.

Something dawned on me recently, though. I think we can come to the agreement that Jesus was the most loving human to live, right (listen, I know your Aunt Bethel is great but hear me out please)?
I just went ahead and googled "encouragement from Jesus" because the only passage I could think of that met this specific criteria was "I said this so you'll have peace," and "take heart! I have overcome the world," both in next-door sentences in John 16. The results that came up on google confirmed my fear. That's all we've got as far as specific personal affirmation from Jesus goes (I could be wrong, this was just a quick skim. But as far as I know there are no specific subcategories of Bible websites entitled "encouragement from Jesus" so that's what I'm going off of).

What the heck, Jesus. Tell me I'm doing a good job at least once. I thrive on this stuff. C'mon, man.

what's encouragement? 


If you're a Christian (and/or just a good person), you've probably taken it upon yourself to encourage another person in one way or another. You've said "it's going to be okay! God's got you."
Noble, true, and good.
You've said, "I'll pray for you," or "I'm talking to God about you tonight."
Incredible.
Do y'all know how good it feels to have someone speak that kind of truth over you? It's awesome. A great high comes from being noticed, validated, and interceded for.

But I have a serious question for you personally, and I don't think I'm alone with my answer to this one:

How much have words of encouragement done for you, really?

For me, they've changed my mindset. Given my mental health a boost. Very good things.

But I can promise you this: there have been times where where those around you just...needed more. I say "needed" simply because their personal struggles would have been less difficult had they received the "more" I'm talking about. I've had times where it felt like I was struggling with holding a huge weight over my head and everyone crowded around me or watched from afar, yelling "good job! I'm praying for you!" These were personal burdens to bear, don't get me wrong. Nobody owed me anything, nor did I expect anything. And verbal support was so much better than being alone.


But Jesus said "take heart" once. 



the point, mason. get to the point. 


What did the most loving, radiant human to ever walk this earth do to keep his followers sane, encouraged, and believing in what he had to say? 

He did. He served. Jesus said "take heart" once, but he said "get up and walk, you're healed" countless times. 

We can't heal people, forgive their sins, or perform miracles. But I started a list of things we can do to embody Christ's example. Italicized because we can mirror him in this way, and that's important.

3 specific examples of what we can do to actually be more like Jesus:

1. Instead of praying for someone, pray with that someone.
2. Instead of telling someone you love them, show them you love them. Try not even saying the words.
3. Remind the mass of people that they're loved, but reach out and tell someone personally that they're specifically loved.

I'm not saying you aren't being effective with kind words, encouraging posts, and personal prayers for people. The title of this blog is "construction notes for the encourager." Construction. So we can build on what we have. If you've ever encouraged someone in that way, you keep this world turning. Keep it up. You're absolutely amazing. But don't check the box and be done. Build on that. Let's add some more sustenance to an already good thing.


Don't get caught saying "you're loved" and moving on. Be the one who loves.


~m





No comments:

Post a Comment